Prepare for Parent/Teacher Conferences
Parent/Teacher conferences will be held over the course of the next two weeks (Oct. 18-29) for every child in K-8th grade (preschool conferences are available at this time by request). Your teacher will be the one to communicate how to sign-up for this time according to his/her availability. You have the option to request to meet in person, and the teacher reserves the same right as needed. I share the same reminders every year so that everyone can properly prepare for this time together!
Conferences allow teachers and parents to partner regarding each child and his/her progress. Enough time has passed since the start of the year for teachers to have gotten to know your student, etc. Sometimes parents of students without what they perceive to be “struggles” won’t see the value in meeting, but there is so much to glean and share about all students! Teachers work hard to prepare for conferences so that your time together is productive. The following is a list of potential questions you may wish to ask your child’s teacher to ensure that you find value in your time together:
- What is my child expected to learn this year, and how will this be evaluated?
- What subjects are strongest or weakest for my child?
- Is my child having any struggles? (homework, timeliness, social interactions, attitude, etc.)
- Is my child participating in class? (discussions, activities, etc.)
- How are my child’s test-taking skills?
- Is my child performing to his/her fullest potential?
- Does my child need extra help in any areas?
- What can I do at home to support what you do in the classroom?
- How can I support my child’s progress?
- May I tell you what’s going on at home?
- How does my child contribute to the atmosphere of the class?
- How does my child interact socially at school?
- What does my child exhibit emotionally at school?
Feel free to make notes prior to your conference with a teacher, or print this list. If you run out of time when you are talking together, you may schedule extra time to chat at a follow-up time. Overall, the school experience for your child is absolutely strengthened by true partnership with your students’ teachers and their communication with you!
In joyful service,
To read the full newsletter, click here: https://stjlutheranschool.org/eagle-connection-10-14-2021/